Monday, February 23, 2015

Medical students

23.02,2015

Their white coats on them... they sat behind in the lecture hall. That's just part of their training. The morning report gives us a good idea about the situation in the hospital and the cases admitted.

While the doctors were listening attentively, I could hear some rumbling from the back seats.

I just glanced at the back and saw the medical students whispering to one another. They looked so frivolous. What happened to the 34 year old man who was admitted with sepsis and who eventually passed away was none of their concern.


While one of my colleagues was talking about a patient who was admitted with diabetic coma, I was busy trying to think what I would have done if I was the one on call. Fluid therapy... which fluid? Insulinotherapy... how much? Electrolyte correction? Bicarbonates? Need to read about diabetic ketoacidosis tonight.

Wish I were sitting in the back seat... Perhaps if I was given the opportunity be a student again, I would immediately agree to that. To be care-free again or to realise that myself, as a medical student, I was not fully dedicated and how much more I could have learnt if I was more attentive.

Students are meant to study. In medicine, it is better to be a hard-working donkey than a lazy horse. Wish I understood this during my student days itself.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2015 Life of a doctor • All Rights Reserved.
back to top